Saturday, January 22, 2011

Custom cabinet + hidden storage

I really need to be better at taking before photos. We have done so much on this house and it is kind of neat to see the before and afters. When we first moved in the basement was a HUGE MESS, nothing but old yellowed drywall and cement floors.

n697165258_653077_6970

We put up walls and installed subfloor, painted and had carpet installed (it is a basement in Alberta and carpeted floors are warmer). From nothing we created a family room, craft room, laundry room as well as having a second bathroom installed.

n697165258_653093_8439

I loved it all except for the huge TV and all it's components and cords. Finally after three years of looking at it everyday I drew up plans for a new corner fireplace that went all the way to the ceiling so we could mount the TV on the wall and hide all of those hated cords. Once that was done the question became, where do we put all of those components? The temporary solution was giving me hives every time I walked by (I swear it was).

January 2, 2011 (2/365)
Seriously people, hives! (PS the Buddha was my daughters idea of a joke for my birthday)

So once again I hit the graph paper and came up with a solution! Not only does it hold all the AV components, it also serves as a charging station for our laptops and a mail sorting center. Amazing what you can do with a sheet of MDF and some paint!

IMG_3043

And the best part? It is on wheels and when you swing it out of the way it gives easy access to the storage space under the stairs! Isn't it beautiful? Storage makes me happy!

Jan 10, 2011

The whole thing just makes me smile every time I walk down the basement stairs. I know I'm a geek but I love having a place for everything.

IMG_3042

I'm still debating putting something on the top to finish it off, maybe a piece of slate or granite? I'll be keeping my eyes open for just the right thing and I will know it when I see it.

One more project off the to do list!







I'm linking up to:











Photobucket


5 comments:

  1. Looks great! Tidy and attractive at the same time. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! That's brilliant Gayle! I have ugly cords hanging from Tvs too and it is hard to come up with solutions for them! I will be glad when wireless tvs are on the market!! I love your storage unit...it looks fabulous! Angie xo
    Are you surviving this marshmallow world okay? I hate driving with these 6 ft. snow banks...it makes it hard to see when trying to pull out into traffic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Joanne and Angie! Yes, Angie I am surviving the marshmallow world but I would be OK if it all melted! We were in NS last week and there was NO SNOW on the ground in some places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fantastic. I HATE cords and chargers. What a great solution. You can come fix my cord/charger problems any time. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gladly! You live in China, right? What time should I arrive? :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments and I read every one of them! I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...