Tuesday, March 22, 2011

20 minute Spaghetti Squash “Florentine”

Spaghetti-squash-florentine
I love the taste of Chicken Florentine, with it’s rich creamy sauce but it doesn’t really fit into our gluten-free, clean eating lifestyle. This lighten tasting recipe has the flavours of it’s namesake dish without the heavy sauce.

Spaghetti Squash "Florentine" 

1 medium spaghetti squash
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tsp olive oil
2 cups spinach, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
Grated parmesan cheese
Italian seasoning (I use Epicure pasta seasoning, it is gluten and salt free and a staple in my kitchen)

Pierce spaghetti squash well with a sharp knife and place in microwave on high for about 10 minutes (until soft to touch), set aside to cool slightly.

Dice chicken breasts and sauté in olive oil with the minced garlic, when no longer pink add spinach and mushrooms and continue cooking until spinach has wilted and mushrooms are softened.

Slice open spaghetti squash and scoop out insides, toss into pan with chicken, vegetables and seasoning. Toss well, add parmesan cheese to taste.

This is a favourite at our house, it’s fast (and only uses one pan), healthy and makes enough for leftovers for lunches the next day. If you really wanted it to have more sauce, you could add some cream at the end when you toss everything into the pan. I have also added a can of artichoke hearts, and sundried tomatoes to this dish with some Greek seasoning and feta cheese (instead of the mushrooms, Italian seasoning and parmesan).

Growing up if you had told me there was a squash that I could use in place of pasta I would have thought you were crazy but we all LOVE spaghetti squash! It’s Mother Natures way of keeping the pasta dishes that we love in this gluten-free household!
Blogsignature_edited-1

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments and I read every one of them! I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...