Thursday, July 28, 2011

Am I the only one?

Me with my babies, early 90's
Lately I feel like I am part of an invisible demographic. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the trend toward mommy bloggers and mompreneurs, but that's just not where I am at right now. 

More than once I have thought how awesome it would have been if the internet had been around when  my children were toddlers.  You see, I was a very young mom... having had both of my babies by the age of 24.  I was also an army wife, living on a military base far from my family.  I can remember being so lonely at times with two very active kidlets and a husband who was never home.  It seems hard to believe now but there was no internet, no email, no skype, no cell phones to call my husband on.

Hell we didn't even own a VCR until my oldest was four!  PBS had kids programming in the morning but there were no 24 hour cable channels dedicated to keeping your kids entertained.  (Please, please don't think I am accusing anyone of using their TV as a babysitter! I'm just putting it all into perspective for ya). If someone had magically given me a way to connect with other moms in the same boat as me (without even leaving house or trying to find a reliable sitter) I would have cried tears of happiness and relief!!

You don't have to look hard on the Internet to find websites and message boards dedicated to moms these days.... mompreneurs, yummy mummys, work at home moms, stay at home moms.. they are all covered.  But I fall into a whole other demographic... I am over 40, I have an empty nest, and I am a entrepreneur to boot.
Same kids... 20 years later


I know there must be others out there... women who found that, after the kids were able to stand on their own two feet, you needed something more fulfilling than the clock-punching job that kept your kids in dance and swimming lessons so you struck out on your own with a business idea that got you fired up and excited!  I know, I know, I will never stop being a mom so I could still call myself a mompreneur but I kind of feel like the odd man (or woman) out in that club.  I've got a handle on making time for me and finding the work/home balance, and I certainly don't need advice on lactation or potty training! I could however use some advice on relieving stress or even tips on wine tasting or dealing with the dreaded hot flashes

Where are all the websites and support groups for women like me?  Seriously, I would like to know... if you find one please facebook me, tweet it, google+ me about it!

3 comments:

  1. I tried leaving you a comment yesterday, but just as I hit "Post Comment", the power went out and I lost it! Anyway, your post made me laugh! It's true, the internet has made it so much easier to connect with other like minded people, but I think sometimes it makes it harder, too! Too much information or something. Since I moved, I've been searching for an online book club, but I'm not having any luck. I did convince my old book club to make a facebook page, so at least I can keep in touch that way. Anyhoo, even though I'm not in the same stage of my life as you, I will keep an eye out for some blogs for you! I'm sure there are other people out there like you, and at least one of them must have a blog, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a blog that I read called 'Hostess of the Humble Bungalow" that I think you would like to read. You can find it on my sidebar! And, yes, you are right...there is a gap out there! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi (aka move4life)October 17, 2011 at 9:03 PM

    Gayle, I can attest to having young children nowadays and the fact that I found a group online of moms w/ children about the same ages online that got together regularly (in real life). IT SAVED ME. AND MY SANITY :) :) Kudos to you moms that did this "back in the day" Mama!!!!!! :) Heidi (aka move4life from LOAD)
    P.S. We are mid "informal" October LOAD, and I was just thinking about how much I missed your LOs when I saw your blog link on the ScrapHappy sidebar. Thought I'd stop by...

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments and I read every one of them! I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...