Sunday, November 20, 2011

30 Days of Pinterest Challenge Day 20: Wall Art

_MG_4234

In all the houses we have lived in we always seem to leave decorating the master bedroom for last.  This house is no exception and is still a work in progress.  We did build a fabulous new bed a few months ago that I still LOVE, if you missed it you can see it here

I have been staring at a big blank wall for five years waiting for inspiration to strike. Eventually when we put a gas fireplace in the living room we will be moving the electric fireplace onto the wall at the foot of our bed but for now all it houses is the dog bed. Then along came Pinterest and an easy DIY wall art idea that I pinned from the website Curbly.

Theirs was mounted on Styrofoam squares but I scored a value pack of 12x12 canvases at Michaels that I used a 40% coupon on and then another 25% off my entire purchase!! Love a good deal!!

_MG_4220

I painted the edges a dark brown colour and then decoupaged 6 coordinating sheets on scrapbooking paper on top.

_MG_4224

There were a few brief minutes when I was freaking out because my paper was full of huge bubbles and wrinkles but once it dried they disappeared. Who knew? Decoupage 101 was obviously not one of my prior life experiences.

_MG_4228

To make hanging them easier, I laid them out on a sheet of paper and then traced them out and marked where the nails should go….

_MG_4232

Nail right into the paper, tear the paper down and then hang the canvases!

_MG_4235

This photo tells me:

a) that although love the way the canvases fill the empty wall, they need something under them to help ground them… I will be coming back to them later.
c) that I really need to do these pictures when I have natural light!!
d) that I still hate the wall colour in our bedroom!! I have painted the walls three times and still can’t seem to find a colour I like… I love the chocolate brown wall that is opposite this wall but I just can’t seem to settle on something for the other three.

Only 10 days to go until December and the end of my month of Pinterest projects… time to start working on the Christmas decor ideas I’ve been compiling!

Blogsignature_edited-1

1 comments:

  1. This looks great! I recognize that paper, I think - CTMH Emporium? I like how you used the sheet of paper to hang them, I'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments and I read every one of them! I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...