Wednesday, November 9, 2011

30 Days of Pinterest Challenge Day 9: Scrabble Pillows

I combined two pins in this challenge, the scrabble pillows were a pin from Etsy that I fell in love with when I saw them. They were made with the letters sewn on in felt but I painted mine on using a freezer paper stencil technique that I pinned from I Am Momma Hear Me Roar.

_MG_4022

I wanted fabric that would stand up to a lot because these pillows were going in our family room so I purchased a canvas drop cloth from the paint department of Home Depot and got enough fabric to make 6 pillows for only $16 dollars (score!!).

After I cut the fabric into 20 inch squares (my pillows were 18 inches) and sewed up three sides. I cut the stencil out of freezer paper with my Cricut machine and ironed it onto the fabric…

_MG_4014

Painted it with black fabric paint….

_MG_4015

Let it dry and set following the product instructions, inserted the pillow form and stitched up the last side!

Ta Da!

_MG_4022

My original plan was to make five of these tonight to spell the word RELAX but I will have to finish the rest on the weekend. Today was my first physiotherapy session for a shoulder injury and one pillow was all my shoulder could take today.

I love the drop cloth fabric, after washing and drying it feels so much softer than I thought it would and it was waaaay cheaper than buying canvas at the fabric store. I even have lots left over for other projects!

Hmm, must go search Pinterest for things to make with canvas!

Blogsignature_edited-1

2 comments:

  1. Genius idea to buy the canvas at home depot. I may just lift this idea Gayle. You are inspiring me to want to get crafty...crazy! I haven't felt crafty (other than scrapping) in a loooong time. So thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome :) I am dying to try slip-covering a chair with the canvas drop cloths! I just need a few days in a row with nothing else to do!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments and I read every one of them! I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...