Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My Easter Cake Fiasco (Pinspirational Post # 31)

I can't believe how many times I have been asked when I am doing another 30 Day Pinterest Challenge. Although I am really flattered by how many of you enjoyed following my antics last November the answer is, "Not until I forget how stressed out I was by the end of the last one!"... seriously...

Of course I have not given up on Pinterest, quite the contrary actually, my list of pinned projects grows every day! How did I get to sleep at night before I was able to spend 30 minutes pinning on my iPad before I turn out the lights? So I have decided to start a series of Pinspirational Posts starting with #31 because it is my blog and I can give myself credit for the original 30 posts from November.

Because of all my allergies and/or food intolerances I usually offer to make dessert for family gatherings so when we planning to visit my brothers family at Easter I volunteered to make dessert. I found several sites that had versions of this KitKat Basket Cake and except for the candy bars (which I could just pick off and not eat) I knew I could make a gluten free version to take as my contribution to dinner.

Now, I could lie and say that I used a fabulous GF recipe but the truth is that these were my ingredients:

_MG_4566

You can judge if you want, I'm OK with that, I am many things but Betty Crocker is not one of them. I will say that the sugar in the air when I was making this thing was almost too much for me, I really don't have much of a sweet tooth. There are so many tutorials out there if you Google "KitKat Cake" that I'm not going to write another one but here is my finished creation:

_MG_4570


Looks pretty good, eh? Well… here’s where the fiasco part comes in…

My cake survived the two hour drive to my brothers house and everyone thought it looked amazing (which it did), and after dinner I served it up to everyone. They all said it was delicious and I kept thinking “why is the cake so freakin’ dry?” “Oh, no!” they said, it tastes great! This is the point where I am beginning to wonder if I am imagining things or they are just being kind.


Later, as we are heading north again for the drive home I had a lightbulb moment when I realized that I had added the eggs and butter but not the oil to my cake! Duh!

Have I mentioned how much I love my family? Every last one of them ate the whole slice of cake and complimented me (although I wonder if they will still say yes when I offer to bring dessert).
Anyone want to share their dessert disasters? So I don’t feel so bad? Pretty please?


Blogsignature_edited-1

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments and I read every one of them! I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...