Friday, July 27, 2012

Every house should have a front porch!

When I “take a little break” I really do it well! I can’t believe it’s been so long since I have written a blog post. Of course I have had every intention of doing one….

The thing is, right now it’s summer in Alberta and in this neck of the woods that is a short season! I am of the generation that grew up being told “get outside and play, it’s a beautiful day out there” and that lesson, it seems, is etched in my brain. When the sun is shining and the weather is warm I take every opportunity to be outside (even if it to sit and read a book).

_MG_4644

This is my favourite spot to sit and enjoy the morning sun right now, I got the chairs for $5 each, the little red cushions were a steal for $3 & for my little side table I used an old plant stand with a left over tumbled marble tile on top! Total cost for this little sitting area $16!! Of course if you count the cost to create our little porch it would be more… our basic 70's house look a little different last summer, take a look at the before:
IMG_2168

There were several things I hated about the front of our house, not the least of which was that concrete slab. what you can’t see here is the 1 1/2 inch space between it and the house where I lost my keys more than once!

I tried to explain my vision for a new porch to Safety Bear but he just couldn’t visualize what I wanted (and you would think after 25 years of marriage he would just TRUST ME). So I called in the big guns aka My Dad!
_MG_3868

_MG_3871

3000 miles is a long distance to go for a good contractor but his rates can’t be beat. They endured the worst mosquito invasion we’ve had in years to get the framework up and then Safety Bear finished the rest himself.
Tada! Here are some after shots:

We also took down the shutters and painted them black to tie into the dark stone we used inside the porch.
_MG_4620


I added some pops of red with the toss cushions (shown in the first photo), happy red geraniums in the planter by the front door & of course a Canadian flag! I have been purchasing other seasonal flags to use throughout the year when I see them on clearance but for right now I am loving having the Canadian flag flying!

17 July 12-3

I really do love this little porch and it looks like it was meant to be there from the moment the house was built. It adds a little character to our basic 70's split entry house.
2012-07-18_1342579056

It’s a perfect spot to enjoy the morning sun and, when it’s been a scorcher of a day, the evening shade.
2012-07-18_1342579345

Even Lily thinks so!

Linking up to these link parties today:




3 comments:

  1. Super cute! I love how it really does look like it's always been a part of your home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I love your little porch!! I would love to have one just like it! Hummmm..

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your porch is fabulous! I love it too! And you are right...it looks like it has always been there! Have a wonderful week! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments and I read every one of them! I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...