Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

_MG_4799


The shorter days and cooler temperatures have me craving comfort food, and in my quest to eat healthier I have been looking for alternatives to the calorie & carb heavy foods of years past. After some experimenting, this yummy squash soup has become a favourite this fall.

Soups and stews are somewhat of a challenge for me because I suffer from OAS, a condition that (for me) means that peeling and chopping of most vegetables leads to itchy skin, swollen eyes and sneezing. It’s not pleasant so I try to buy as much as I can already peeled and chopped. Enter butternut squash from Costco and I was a happy camper!

I searched allrecipes.ca for a basic butternut squash soup and then added a few of my own variations. I don’t know if I added too much chicken broth at first but it seemed runny to me (and I wanted something thick) so I added two ingredients that really made this soup yummy!

_MG_4822


Yep, pumpkin and curry powder! Trust me, it’s a good thing! The pumpkin made it thick and creamy and the curry gives it a little “kick”.

This recipe makes a huge pot of soup, you might want to halve it :)

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

2 large butternut squash
2 large sweet potatoes
2 carrots
2 stalks celery
2 onions
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp olive oil
2 cartons low sodium chicken broth
1 28oz can pumpkin
1 tsp curry powder (adjust to taste)

Peel and chop all veggies and garlic and saute in large saucepan 5 minutes or until veggies start to brown. Add chicken broth to cover and simmer until veggies are soft.
Puree soup in blender in small amounts (or if you have a handheld immersion blender you can puree right in the pot). 
Return to pot and stir in pumpkin and curry powder, simmer on low heat until ready to serve.

_MG_4823


Season with salt & pepper to taste and stir in a dollop of sour cream (if desired) before serving. As with most soups, this tastes even better the next day and it freezes well. Since it is really just veggies and broth I plan to keep my fridge and freezer stocked with this for quick and healthy lunches!

Blogsignature_edited-1

1 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm going to have to try this one, it sounds so good on a crisp fall day!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments and I read every one of them! I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...