Wednesday, November 21, 2012

30 Days of Pinterest 2012: Day Twenty One

I never thought I would be one of “those” people… the ones who treat their dogs like they are their children but somewhere along the way it happened. So it is on day 21 that I find myself making Cheesy Dog Treats based on a recipe from Paula Deen.

Cheesy Dog Treats: Life on the Lane

I made some changes to Paula’s original recipe, partly because I wanted to make it a little healthier for Lily.  I used light cheese and substituted low sodium chicken broth for the water. I also did some research and decided to switch out the wheat flour for rice flour. Paula’s recipe also called for garlic salt… really? Isn’t it enough that dog’s have dog breath? There was no way I was throwing garlic into the mix too! Here is my version:

Cheesy Dog Treats

1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded

1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

3 Tablespoons olive oil

1 1/2 cup rice flour

1/4 cup nonfat dry milk

1/2 cup chicken broth

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, mix cheeses with oil. Stir in flour and dry milk until blended. Add chicken broth and knead until dough comes together. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness, and cut out treats using a cookie cutter. Repeat until all dough is used. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until treats are golden brown.

I was pretty sure these would be a hit with Lily, she can hear someone open a package of cheese from across the street!

I’m not gonna lie, there was a part of me that wanted to leave these in the jar without a label just to see if SB would eat one when he came home. In the end I was a good wife and made a label on the computer so he would know they were dog treats (not that they contained anything that people shouldn’t eat).

Cheesy Dog Treats: Life on the Lane

Do you have friends with four-legged children? These would make a great little gift!

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha, I thought mine was the only one that likes cheese, he can hear as soon as the plastic rattles, did Lily like them? I have that recipe pinned in pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loved them! Cheese is her favourite!

      Delete

I LOVE comments and I read every one of them! I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...