Monday, November 2, 2015

Learning about Remembrance Day


One of the most rewarding jobs I've ever had is one I gladly do for free. Twice a week I volunteer with Girl Guides of Canada. Tonight was my Spark meeting night, these are girls ages 5 & 6 and they are a joy to work with.

As soon as we turn the calendar to November my thoughts are on Remembrance Day. We were raised to respect our military and honour their sacrifices. My dad is a former solider as is my brother. I met my husband when we were both reservists (although my career was very short-lived) and I am proud to have been an army wife for most of our married life. It's important to me to reinforce to my units the importance of Remembrance Day.

I was delighted to find an age appropriate book to share with the Sparks this year.


Proud as a Peacock, Brave as a Lion tells the story of a young boy helping his grandfather prepare for a Veteran's Parade. The story is beautifully told and the illustrations of imaginary animals help to add a sense of whimsy to a very somber subject.

Next we fingerprinted poppies! I love how excited they get when they see paints... I feel the same way! Some were a little reluctant to get their fingers dirty but it didn't take much coaxing for them to get into full on art mode.



In the 100 years since LCol. John McCrae wrote his poem On Flanders Fields in May 1915, his imagery of poppies row on row has become synonymous with Remembrance Day. In November, poppies are to remember. 




1 comments:

I LOVE comments and I read every one of them! I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...