Sunday, November 8, 2015

To Colour or Not to Colour?




Colouring books for grownups are huge right now! Walk into any book, gift or craft store and you are sure to find displays front and centre. In this world where we spend so much time rushing from one thing to another with our heads bowed over little screens, the idea of unplugging and slowing down is an appealing one. I welcome the idea of a little time spent in quiet contemplation while I focus on the simple task at hand, but this latest fad is not without it's critics. 




I've heard it said that people find these new colouring books too intricate, that they feel stressed trying to complete the detailed images perfectly. As much as I suffer from my own perfectionism a great deal of the time, I find it easy to let it go and just enjoy the process. I'm especially enjoying the mandala trend and have several books in a basket I can grab when I'm in the mood.

If you are worried about "ruining" a pricey book there are plenty of sites where you can print your own colouring sheets, a simple Pinterest search will turn up lots of results. Download a few, make yourself a cup of tea and just let yourself go.

1 comments:

  1. I too love these coloring books. I recently purchased a book of 'to be colored' postcards from Barnes and Noble (along with the watercolor pencils) called "Enchanted Forest". Ahh...As with mandalas, the point is not to finish the drawing. The point is to clear the mind, allow the mind to empty, so as to be open to the inner voice. Pay no attention to the nay-sayers. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments and I read every one of them! I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...